New Athletic Director Profile
The University of North Carolina have ended their search for a new Athletic Director and have announced the hiring of Lawrence "Bubba" Cunningham. Cunningham will succeed Dick Baddour in November.
Here is a look at the new Director of Athletics:
- Most recently at Tulsa, where he led their 18-sport program since 2005.
- Will be the first Athletic Director in 36 years without ties to the University of North Carolina
- Worked in the Athletic Department at Notre Dame for 15 years before being hired by Ball State prior to Tulsa job
- Was recommended by Dick Baddour for the position
- One of his first duties will be to hire a new Head Football Coach
- Will be paid a base salary of $525,000 per year, with a $40,000 expense allowance, through June 30, 2017
- Will be Athletic Director effective November 14
Cunningham was quoted in his press conference on Friday: "I absolutely love the place,..The people are here are absolutely outstanding, but I can't really project what the future will be until I really learn from the people that are here. But building on this tradition is obviously where we start."